Homes and commercial and industrial buildings can catch fire easily. It’s a terrifying prospect—who wants to see their home or workplace go up in smoke? The importance of fire prevention can’t be emphasized enough, especially knowing the most common causes of fires in Longview, TX. The more you know, the better prepared you will be to prevent fires, or deal with them if they should occur.
The most common causes of fires
These are the top causes of fires in Longview, TX, including residences, commercial buildings, industrial facilities and laboratories:
- Faulty wiring: If you’re in an older home or building, your wiring may not be up to code. Faulty wiring can cause electrical hazards, which can spark and catch fire. To prevent this, ask an electrician to inspect your building and bring the wiring up to code.
- Smoking: Smoking cigarettes and other substances can lead to fires, especially if you fall asleep with a cigarette burning near upholstery, clothing, bedding or other flammable substances. Cigarette butts can continue to burn for hours after you think you’ve extinguished them, and smoking in the bedroom is one of the leading causes of house fire fatalities.
- Candles: Candles are beautiful and atmospheric, but they need to be used with caution. Never let your candles burn near other candles, tissue boxes, books, papers, curtains and other objects that could easily burst into flame.
- Cooking: Cooking, both residential and commercial, can lead to various kinds of fire. Oils can ignite, and unattended gas flames or items left in the oven too long can burst into flame. Always practice good fire safety, and never leave your oven on or a burner unattended.
- Electrical appliances: Electrical appliances with frayed cords, shorted circuits or even space heaters can be dangerous. Never use a space heater near flammable objects or leave it going while you’re out of the house, and check your cords regularly.
- Flammable liquids: Gas, oil and other flammable liquids should be handled with caution. Never smoke or burn candles near them, and take care to make sure to keep them away from anything that could spark and ignite.
- Barbecue grills: Barbecue grills are a great source of backyard fun and food, but when used improperly, they can spiral out of control. Follow your manufacturer’s safety recommendations and never leave the backyard while an active flame is going.
- Arson: Finally, arson is another surprising top cause of commercial fires. In fact, 36 percent of fires at educational institutions are intentionally set. Since one can’t predict arson, it’s another good reason to have proper safety equipment available.
Anchor Safety Inc. serves Longview by providing fire suppression equipment, safety consultations and other fire prevention services. No matter what kind of building you need to keep safe, we have the tools and equipment you and your family or employees need. We offer top-quality products and expert advice for all of your fire prevention and suppression needs—call us today to learn more about the common causes of fires in Longview, TX and how to protect yourself!
Categorised in: Causes of Fires
This post was written by Writer